15 Aug I Admit it-I get Excited by Spinach
I admit it. I get excited by the big produce deals where-let’s just say LARGE containers of spinach, mixed greens and the like that are offered at deep discounted prices. Let’s talk specifically about SPINACH.
I often buy those containers with the very best intentions, but as the only spinach eater in the house, I’m left to my own devices to consume said spinach. Often times, it’s quite a challenge and sadly, some of it does go by the, ahem, wayside. (I can’t stand to waste food or money, so this obviously KILLS me).
In an effort to consume more of this nutritional powerhouse (Vitamin A, C, K, Folate, manganese, magnesium, HIGH in antioxidants and LOW in calories), I’ve truly been hard core about getting into my daily consumption.
Here are the top 8 ways I’ve incorporated my beloved spinach this week
1. Salad greens for basic salad (let’s not overlook the obvious)
2. Mock Cobb Salad
3. Added to scrambled eggs and omelets
4. Added to homemade marinara sauce (used homegrown summer tomatoes and froze)
5. Topping for pizza, along with chicken and basil sausage and onions
6. Sauteed with onions and mushroom (can eat as is or use as the pizza topping in #5)
7. Used in place of lettuce for sandwich/wrap filling
8. Sauteed corn, squash and spinach “casserole”
You can easily see that this are all low effort, high return menu items. That’s how I roll these days. If it takes too much effort in this heat and in my state, its not going to happen. Tell me, how do you incorporate spinach into your day? I’d love to hear your ideas….