04 Mar LV's Turkey Meatloaf with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Basil
I had a hankering for Turkey Meatloaf today but no recipe. Where did I turn? Facebook of course! Many thanks to Laura, Allison and Marcy for coming to my rescue. I happily have a bevy of recipes to chose from for the next time a turkey meatloaf (or meatballs) craving strikes.
Tonight, I tried Chef Laura Vella’s Turkey Meatloaf with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Basil. It was easy and delish. Note where I made my substitutions.
Turkey Meat Loaf with Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Basil
1 1/2 T Olive oil
1 lg Onion; chopped
2 t basil, chopped ( I used 1 teaspoon, dried)
3 each Green onions (include whites) chopped
1 t Dried oregano
1 1/2 lb Ground turkey ( I used 1 1/4 pounds)
2 t Salt
1 1/2 c Fresh breadcrumbs ( I used leftover croutons, finely ground)
2 t Ground pepper
2/3 c Chopped drained oil-packed sun dried tomatoes ( I used “dried” sun dried tomatoes)
Ketchup as topping-optional
1/2 c Milk or Red Wine ( I used low fat soy milk)
Instructions for Turkey Meat Loaf with Sun-Dried Tomatoes:
• Preheat oven to 375F.
• Grease 9x5x3-inch glass loaf pan.
• Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion; saute 5 minutes.
• Add green onions; saute until vegetables are very tender, about 5-7 minutes longer. (can be made ahead and refrigerated)
• Transfer to large bowl.
• In separate bowl, whisk eggs and milk together. (if using wine, no need to mix)
• Add all remaining ingredients except ketchup to vegetables in bowl. Mix thoroughly.
• Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 1 hour.
• Brush with ketchup and bake until thermometer inserted into center registers 165F, about 15 minutes longer. Cool 5 minutes. Slice and serve. 6 servings
Made simple baked potatoes as a side. Winner dinner for certain!