28 Nov From Cranberry Girl to Sweet Potato Casserole Gal
Since getting married 1 1/2 years ago, I’ve become the sweet potato casserole gal.
When give the assignment for sweet potato casserole, I had to go searching. I must say that this one from epicurious.com did me right. Made a few modifications (less brown sugar, added vanilla, omitted nutmeg) and added marshmallows to only 1/2 of the casserole. The citrus makes it delicious and the finished product is one that is considerably less sweet than most others. I’d highly recommend it–and not just for Thanksgiving!
- 3 cups firmly packed unseasoned mashed sweet potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Butter a 2-quart casserole and set aside.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, beating until smooth. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as needed.
3. Scoop into the casserole, spreading to the edge and roughing the surface. Bake uncovered on the middle oven shelf for about 45 minutes or until tipped with brown.
4. Serve hot as an accompaniment to roast turkey, chicken, or pork. Good, too, with pork chops.